Superintendents are uniquely positioned to transform their school districts and the communities they serve. To accomplish this, incoming superintendents must enter the role at full speed, ready to address the never-ending menu of priorities assigned to the position. KASA is pleased to offer its members a highly exclusive professional learning experience designed to build confidence and the capacity to thrive as the executive leader of the school district.
This will not be your typical leadership development program. KASA believes its members already possess many of the technical and interpersonal skills that have helped them to achieve their current role. Instead, this program will focus on cultivating an expansive, agile leadership mindset that has the capacity to embrace innovation and lead change. This is 21st century leadership.
The KASA Executive Leadership Academy for Aspiring Superintendents (KELA) will provide a collaborative environment where you can tap into the collective brilliance of your peers, guided by former and current Kentucky and national school leadership experts exploring and working on the real challenges you will face as the superintendent. The result is an invigorated, purposeful, and supportive network of leaders motivated to move forward — as individuals and together — to inspire a ripple effect of unprecedented excellence, innovation, and improved student performance in Kentucky public schools.
KELA participants will experience learning modules aligned with the Next Generation Superintendent Standards including:
- Leadership Philosophy, Guiding Principles, and Vision
- Ethics: Moral and Professional Roadmaps
- School Culture, Learning and Working Environments
- School Safety, Health, and Welfare for ALL
- Instructional Leadership: Involvement and Credibility
- Next Generation Learning Leadership
- Reading Literacy: The Key to All Learning
- School Finance: The Superintendent’s Role
- The Superintendent as Personnel Leader
- District Operations: Transportation, Food Service, Facilities, and Affiliated Supports
- The Role of School Boards
- Effective School Board Relations
- Government Affairs and Legislative Advocacy
- Leveraging Human Capital
- Supervision and Evaluations
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Strategic Communications, Messaging, and Media
- Decision Making and Professional Courage
- Responsibility for Leadership During Times of Challenge or Crisis
- Understanding the Pulse of the Community through Involvement
- Legal Matters: Dealing with Challenges and Claims
- Guidance on the Superintendent Application Process and Landing a Job
- The Importance of Personal and Professional Life Balance
- And More!