The Superintendent of the Year Award recognizes and honors Kentucky’s superintendents for the contributions they make every day advocating for public education, our children, and our future.
Nominations are now being accepted for this prestigious award. Any Kentucky public-school superintendent who plans to continue in the profession may be nominated (self-nominations are also accepted).
A new timeline has been established to allow for recognition at KASA’s annual leadership institute July 28-30. See the timeline below.
The award is presented annually through a competitive application process based on a superintendent’s talent and vision in the areas of leadership for learning, communication, professionalism, and community involvement.
Application Information and Procedure
The AASA National Superintendent of the Year (SOY) program, sponsored by VALIC and AASA pays tribute to the talent and vision of the men and women who lead the nation’s public schools. The KASA State Superintendent of the Year program, sponsored by American Fidelity and KASA, is the springboard to the national award program.
Any superintendent, chancellor or top leader of a school system in the United States who plans to continue in the profession may be nominated. This program is designed to recognize the outstanding leadership of active, front-line superintendents. It is not recognition of service at retirement or a program to reward current state or national leaders.
Each candidate is judged on the following criteria:
- Leadership for Learning – creativity in successfully meeting the needs of students in his or her school system.
- Communication – strength in both personal and organizational communication.
- Professionalism – constant improvement of administrative knowledge and skills, while providing professional development opportunities and motivation to others on the education team.
- Community Involvement – active participation in local community activities and an understanding of regional, national, and international issues.
Steps to Nominate or Apply for Superintendent of the Year
It is a two-step process:
- First, complete the simple nomination form online at soy.aasa.org by May 14, 2021. (Once received, AASA notifies candidates to provide instructions for submitting their application.)
- Next, complete your application at soy.aasa.org by July 2, 2021.
- The KASA State Superintendent of the Year will be selected based on the criteria and timeline listed above.
- A statewide blue-ribbon judging panel is convened to select the KASA State Superintendent of the Year and three finalists. The judging panel is comprised of distinguished leaders in education and business.
- The KASA State Superintendent of the Year will represent Kentucky in the AASA national program.
- A national blue-ribbon panel of judges selects four finalists for AASA National Superintendent of the Year from among the eligible State Superintendents of the Year. The judging panel is comprised of distinguished leaders in education.
- The blue-ribbon panel interviews the four national finalists in Washington, D.C., to select the AASA National Superintendent of the Year.
- The panel’s decision will be based on the applications submitted online and in person interview.
Recognition for State and National Superintendent of the Year
- The KASA State Superintendent of the Year will be announced in July during the KASA Annual Leadership Institute.
- A $5,000 scholarship is awarded to a high school senior in the superintendent’s district.
- A bronze eagle sculpture, Superintendent of the Year ring, and travel reimbursement to and from AASA’s national conference on education is awarded to the KASA State Superintendent of the Year.
- The AASA National Superintendent of the Year is announced at the AASA National Conference on Education.
- A $10,000 scholarship is awarded to a senior student in the high school from which the National Superintendent of the Year graduated, or to a senior student in a high school from which the National Superintendent of the Year is the current superintendent.
- The KASA State Superintendent of the Year is honored at the AASA National Conference on Education during a general session and a Kentucky reception.
Superintendent of the Year Program Timeline
Deadline for Kentucky nominations to be
completed online at soy.aasa.org
Deadline for completed applications to
be received online for KASA State Superintendent of the Year at soy.aasa.org
Announce and recognize the 2022 SOY at KASA's Annual Leadership Institute
AASA activities and Kentucky Reception
For more information, contact Dr. Rhonda
Caldwell, KASA Executive Director, (859) 583-5652